Thanksgiving is an American holiday. It was very strange to go to the market the day before Thanksgiving and not run into a hoard of people doing their last minute shopping for their Thanksgiving dinner. There were people at the market, but it was just a normal flow. The second thing that was very wierd was that everything was open on Thanksgiving Day. The dentist who has his office acros the courtyard from us, was open and doing a brisk business.
We found a few other expats who were interested in celebrating the holiday. I offered to host the dinner at the library. I wasn't really sure how well I could cook a big feast with my ministove(18 inches). On the advice of a friend from here, I bought a turkey breast and baked that in the oven. This was the biggest turkey breast I have ever seen - the half that I bought weighed almost 7 pounds with no skin or bone in it. I also made the mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casserole. I have had a Kitchen Aid mixer for many years and I had never made mashed potatoes the old fashioned way so this was a new experience. I'm glad I didn't have a lot of guests - I would have
been at that project for a long time!
If you remember, I talked about how this was like starting over in my marriage, well, this was another one of those first experiences. Our apartment came furnished with dishes, cooking utensils and some linens. I have been trying to use what is here rather than having everything that I am used to having at home. It can be done. Baking bags make a large glass baking dish a roaster for turkey. Seasoning mix for pot roast can be used for turkey and taste very good. Appetizers included spinach dip and veggies, cheese and crackers and apples with carmel dip. Gail brought cornbread stuffing, sweet cherry biscuits, and pumpkin pie. Sounds pretty American, right? It felt like it. The only thing missing was football on TV.
We had our dining table in the library, surrounded by books. There wasn't a table cloth for our T shaped dining table, but lacy paper doilies worked very well. The white dinner ware worked well and there are even nice serving dishes, so we felt like we had had a fea
st.
Our dinner guests included Michael and Gail Purath who are here in Budapest working with Campus Crusade for Christ, and Tim Hudson, another missionary, who has lived in Budapest for many years. Conversation ranged from the recent election to how we found our way to Budapest.
We found a few other expats who were interested in celebrating the holiday. I offered to host the dinner at the library. I wasn't really sure how well I could cook a big feast with my ministove(18 inches). On the advice of a friend from here, I bought a turkey breast and baked that in the oven. This was the biggest turkey breast I have ever seen - the half that I bought weighed almost 7 pounds with no skin or bone in it. I also made the mashed potatoes, gravy and green bean casserole. I have had a Kitchen Aid mixer for many years and I had never made mashed potatoes the old fashioned way so this was a new experience. I'm glad I didn't have a lot of guests - I would have
If you remember, I talked about how this was like starting over in my marriage, well, this was another one of those first experiences. Our apartment came furnished with dishes, cooking utensils and some linens. I have been trying to use what is here rather than having everything that I am used to having at home. It can be done. Baking bags make a large glass baking dish a roaster for turkey. Seasoning mix for pot roast can be used for turkey and taste very good. Appetizers included spinach dip and veggies, cheese and crackers and apples with carmel dip. Gail brought cornbread stuffing, sweet cherry biscuits, and pumpkin pie. Sounds pretty American, right? It felt like it. The only thing missing was football on TV.
We had our dining table in the library, surrounded by books. There wasn't a table cloth for our T shaped dining table, but lacy paper doilies worked very well. The white dinner ware worked well and there are even nice serving dishes, so we felt like we had had a fea
Our dinner guests included Michael and Gail Purath who are here in Budapest working with Campus Crusade for Christ, and Tim Hudson, another missionary, who has lived in Budapest for many years. Conversation ranged from the recent election to how we found our way to Budapest.
No comments:
Post a Comment