Each day at the library is different, but I thought it might help those back home to visualize what happens in the library. Today is Tuesday and is generally a slow day. Merrill and I have our language lesson on Tuesday morning. We go together, but I have the first hour lesson and then Merrill the second. I finish at 10, take a quick walk to where the bus back to Gellert ter. picks me up and in about 20 minutes I am back at the library.
Today, the buzzer rang about 10:55 am, so I let the first visitor in. This young lady works for a mission group here in Budapest. They have a Bible school that meets three times a week for several hours each time. This school is for people wanting to know more about the Bible. It started in September and continues until May. She was looking for some Bible based videos to use for this instruction. She is a library patron but hadn't been to visit us for quite a while.
The next visitor was a university student who needed a place to study between classes. He told me he had been to the library before, but once again, it was a new face to me. He spent about an hour in the library, looking at materials, and then left to go to class.
We then had a new patron who had actually tried to come on Monday when we were closed. She came back today and as I showed her the library. She works at a library and it isn't far from our library. The library serves the Central and Eastern European University for Missions. Her husband is teaching English as a second language here in Budapest and they moved here in August. She became a library patron and we agreed that there are times when we have visitors who need the other library - that library being one with deeper theological references than we have. I accompanied her back to the library she works at so that I would be able to send patrons there if they were in need of that kind of reference material.
Another patron came and used the library for a couple of hours. She had a language lesson and another appointment in the city. She uses public transportation and it would have taken an hour to get back to her place of work and then an hour to come back for her appointment. She "crashed" with us for lunch and reading.
Then we have Mike who is having his language lessons here at the library. His instructor meets him here and they spend 3 hours, 3 days a week studying Hungarian. It is too far for them to travel to either of their homes for the lesson and the instructor doesn't have an office available at the times Mike has available for his lessons.
This was not our typical Tuesday, but is fairly representative of how the patrons flow. There are times when we are looking up materials for patrons, but most patrons like to come in and browse. All are impressed with the variety of offerings that are here in the library.
No comments:
Post a Comment