There are lots of workers carrying snow shovels and the city has hired extra workers to shovel sidewalks and tram stops. Cars covered with snow, parking spaces that have remained filled are still common even a week after the last major snow fall. The one snow blower that I have seen has to be the smallest one produced - about 12 inches across.
Budapest is not used to winter in these terms. Not so different from parts of the U.S. The best part of being in Budapest in the winter is not having to drive. I've always said that I wouldn't mind winter if I didn't have to drive on the snowy, icy roads. Here, I don't. Having public transportation is a definite asset. There have been times when public transportation has been slowed or not running normally during heavy snow, but it doesn't last more than a few hours. Now, the down side of public transportation is standing in the cold, waiting from the tram or bus. It requires the full compliment of hat, scarf, gloves and boots. I've seen lots of fur coats and hats as well as suede coats with fur collars on public transportation. It is a way of life here and doesn't feel dangerous at all.
1 comment:
Brrrr! I'm sure you guys are bundled up while waiting-we have Merrill's hat! It was under the bed, I'm sure he has more or certainly a replacement by now! Fun to see the snow-covered cars! Hope you guys are well!!!
Post a Comment