The library is officially closed on Monday, so we decided to use the time to do some sight seeing, a day trip. We went by suburban railway to a city about 30 km from Budapest. The name of the town is Godollo - except, I can't spell it in Hungarian, because I can't add the appropriate markings over the vowels. Phonetically it is "goo-doo-lu", sort of. It was a beautiful spring day and I was especially looking forward to seeing some open land, maybe even a farm field. (You can take the girl away from the farm, but...)
Merrill loves telling about all the modes of travel that we use, so today, we walked, rode the bus, rode the suburban railway(HEV) and the metro(subway). We arrived in Godollo about 1 pm and found the palace, which is the main attraction. It was built by Antal Grasselkovich I, and was later used as the summer palace for the Hapsburgs, when they were in Budapest. At this point in the Austro-Hungarian empire, they had palaces in both Vienna and Budapest and also had summer palaces in nearby areas of both cities.
The palace has been restored after World War II and the communist occupation. There are audio tours that give more information than the brief description of the room and how it was used. I love touring these places but come away with a feeling of overwhelming opulence.
I also saw wanted to post a few flower pictures that I was familiar with from my own gardening or nature walks. Unfortunately, my computer is not cooperating in uploading them this evening. I thought I had that detail worked out when I was able to post the pictures of the palace, but I'm unable to upload the flowers.
1 comment:
Hi Carol! I loved reading about your trip to Godollo. I went there with my dad in 1997 and toured the palace. It is a gorgeous window into the Austro-Hungarian empire and so well preserved! My grandfather was born in Hungary 107 years ago on Pentecost Sunday. I'm sure the pastries are aplenty in celebration of this special church holiday :) Love to you and Merrill!
Love, Matt & Maia
Post a Comment