A new metro line is a big deal in Budapest, because they have been planning and "building" it for several years. It was the butt of many jokes and it seemed to go over budget, more than once. It was exciting, however, because the southwest side of Budapest had no subway to connect it to the center city, and the metro 4 was the line that was going to do this.
Merrill and I remember Andy Anderson talking about the Metro 4 and that there would be a subway station right outside the library building. One more reason that our location was a good one - the Gellert Hotel, the Liberty Bridge, several tram and bus lines converging and eventually, the Metro 4.
Today, Merrill and I rode the Metro 4 again and started from a different station and took some time to look around as we entered the subway and exited it and we remembered Andy as we went. The end station is at the Keleti Railway station. I remember the first time we came to Budapest to look at the library and make a decision if we were going to come and work at it. We stayed at the Park Hotel, which is located across the street from Keleti Railway station. I could see the huge hole in the ground and of course, the plywood walls that surrounded it to keep everyone except construction workers out. I couldn't imagine what they would need all that space for in the middle of streets and rail lines, etc. Today, I got my answer. It is like a plaza one floor below ground and it makes the connection between two subway lines and the railway station. Merrill commented that Andy would have enjoyed this. He loved traversing the city! He would just wander to places randomly, but he was a wealth of information on how to find things and what transportation to use to get there. We even walked under the street that very first evening we were here to get to a bus stop and we were there again today.
Merrill said, "Andy would have loved this." I replied, "I think he's loving where he is more, in heaven, but yes, he would have enjoyed seeing all of this." Andy and Phyllis Anderson will always be a part of the work here in Budapest, even though, they don't "work" any more. When someone at the library comments about what a great place it is and wonders how it came to be, I'm thrilled to be able to relate the story to them. It's good to remember and thank God for providing Andy and Phyllis to get the library started.
| Entrance to Metro 4 at Szent Gellert ter The building shown houses the library. |
| This view shows the Liberty Bridge in the background. It was taken from in front of the library building. There are reflecting pools on 3 sides of the entrance. |
This link gives many interior pictures of the metro stations. Check them out if you are interested.
1 comment:
So fun to see the new metro. Yes, it has seemed like forever coming and can't wait to ride it this fall. Praying your continue to have a blessed time in BP.
Love you guys,
Gail
Post a Comment