Thursday, September 11, 2008

Library work



Phyllis Anderson and 2 patrons






The library hours sound like our schedule should be a piece of cake. It is the "other times by appointment" that seem to make our days long sometimes. I will list the schedule.


Tuesday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm


Wednesday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm


Friday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm


Saturday 11:00 am to 5:00 pm








It looks like we have 3 days with the library closed every week, right? Now let me tell you about the "other times by appointment". Sunday afternoon at 4:00 pm, a group of about 20 Hungarians meet in the library for Bible study until about 6:30 pm. That requires the library directors to be present and since many are patrons, they bring back books and check out new books.








On Wednesday evening, there is another Bible study group that meets at 7:00 pm for a light supper and Bible study. Once again, the directors have to be there to open the library and many are patrons and .....








Today we had visitors, who have in the past held Bible study on Friday evening and they would like to start on September 19. They will meet from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. We are very happy to have the library used for the purposes and completely support the use of it in this way. This kind of activity also brings people to the library would might otherwise not be aware of it, so this is really good. I know what I thought when I looked at the schedule and wondered what I was going to do with all my extra time!!! We want to be used by God and I think that mission is being accomplished through us!








We have a wonderful young Hungarian woman, Eva, who is our library assistant. She will be working with us through the end of October and because she is a university student in her last year of study, she has to prepare for exams. She is very knowledgeable and is helping me learn the system. We are hoping her replacement will come soon enough for her to be able to train her. It just wouldn't do to have two "orientees" minding the library. I must say the patrons are very helpful. When I am having trouble scanning the books to check them out, they are offering to stamp the return date in the back of the book. I have had to tell patrons when they ask me to recommend a book, that I am not a librarian and I don't know books like Phyllis does.




Today, our adventure was going acrosss the Danube River to shop at the Central Market, also know as the Big Market, or the covered market. This bridge is within one block of the library and it is under constructions. However, the pedestrian walkway is open - it is plywood boards over the structure. (sorry the picture is not really clear, but it was overcast) It is a busy walkway and the market is right on the other side of the bridge. They tell us when the bridge is finished that the tram goes across the bridge (that will really be nice in the winter). The market is BIG!!! I finally had to stop looking and start buying. It is full of fresh produce, meat, dairy, and many souvenirs(2nd floor) and oh, bakery!! Merrill is standing near one of the fresh produce stands within the market. What you don't see, is our big shopping bag, that we transport all our treasures home. After we returned home, I started doing some cooking because though the library is our home, I don't think I should be cooking when we have patrons coming in and I really don't even like to have it smelling of cooking when patrons come,....so I am cooking ahead and putting meals away in the freezer. We have been here 10 days and the time is going very fast.

No comments: